Meeting Minutes

May 2 , 2019 Meeting Minutes   
Attendees:  Tammy, Patty, Jean, Pam, Linda, Joan, Kati
Maureen, President:  Absent
Tammy, VP: (and filling in for President, Maureen)
  • Event presence by Friends – only 1 or 2 a year? Pam is willing to keep attending Friends sponsored events whenever possible. If a board member can attend great but not to feel obligated
  • Patty – Title and interest in taking on newspaper correspondence? Planning assistant was decided on for Patty. Job description to follow. Patty will take over newspaper correspondence moving forward
  • New Logo??  will explain Will explore changing logo,
  • Judi Dettorre to attend meeting? (side note for me!)
  • 84 members
  • Establish set up time on Friday the 17 for the plant sale .1 pm  Patty, Pam, Tammy, Judy, Linda will help set up  
  • Sign up genius and mailchimp for plant sale as well as send an email to all past members
  • cross training on WordPress.  
  • Cross-training on Facebook?  Linda ? (Instagram and Twitter?) Linda will help out with instagram and facebook
  • Set up time to price items for yard sale table: Tuesday the 14th @ 3:30
  • general plant sale discussion
Pam, Treasurer:​
  • Report on monthly finances. See report, books continue to be a strong source of income. The seeds have raised $300 thus far
  • Plant Sale info
  • Discuss signs to use for Plant Sales There is a need to order more plant sale signs so we can put them around town.
Linda, Secretary:
Patty, ok for “Planning Assistant” title. Maureen will create description and update “Board Member” google doc
Joan, Project Assistant:  Signs for raffle, new cd player for childrens room  
Jean, Library Director:  *see spread sheet, over budget by $855.00.  drum circle will be added for 1x month, DPW agreed that they can set up the sign in front of library, Jean will  order the sign
Kati, Youth Librarian: CD player for childrens room : A new CD player is needed. The friends will pay for a new CD player. weather is playing a large part in the increase  attendance , lego collection has been doubled by the Wilmington public library.
Working with Julie Romano  in helping Teens to enjoy reading and finding incentives have teens check out books
Judy suggested a book club for teens as possible way to get teens to read for pleasure
Calendar:
June 11, 12:30, Friends Fiscal Meeting 2019/2020.
July, August & Sept. dates to be determined.
May 17, set up for Plant Sale
May 18, Saturday, Spring Plant Sale, 8:30-12:30.
Sponsored Programs:
May 2, Thursday, Genealogy Speaker, Lori Lyn Price, 6-7pm.
May 22, Wednesday, Author Amy Bass, One Goal..., 6-7pm. (Water Color & Writer’s Workshops are 6 wk programs).


April 4, 2019 Meeting Minutes

Attendees:  Maureen, Pam, Tammy, Linda, Patty and Jean.

Maureen, Pres:  Sent 50 Ask letters for Raffle donations and has secured: The Red Sox will send an autographed item, 4 Blue Man Group tickets, $60 Gift Card for Nathaniel’s Restaurant at the Hawthorne Hotel and 4 tickets to the North Shore Music Theatre so far.  The old books we have in the book sale room were determined to be of no value by a local dealer/appraiser.

Tammy, VP:   Reported that a minimum of 10 sign-ups are needed to move forward with the Yard Sale.  Registration deadline is April 13 and as of today we have had 3 people inquire and 1 definite.  We need to promote it more and Patty will ask if she could put a flyer at the dump.  Linda suggested (and we all agreed, and approved by Jean) that if we want to set up a table after the seeds are gone and put out a donation jar to pay for the items, that may be a way to make money instead of bringing all our stuff to Leward Light.   Tammy invited a new volunteer, Judi Dettorre, to the May meeting.  She passed out a handout from Kati detailing the month’s youth programs.  It was agreed that it was time to begin promoting the Plant Sale and Tammy will ask Joan about the flyer.

Pam, Treasurer:​  She explained the current system of the Friends Fiscal Year Budget and the proposed changes.  The Fiscal year begins July 1 and money is increasing while effort is decreasing. We have about $10,000  in the bank account that is not ear-marked as of today. She projected that we will bring in $13,000.00 this year. She proposed a new finance system to to have a minimum of $5,000.00 in the account at the end of each Fiscal year and to add a new line item for library miscellaneous.  The Board voted in favor. Kati, Youth Librarian, has not spent all of her budget as of yet. Pam’s sister, Dianne, would like to volunteer at the Harvest Fest and the Board set a date of Oct. 19th for it to be held.

Other:  We discussed signs to use for future Yard & Plant Sales.  (To note: the Byfield Little League will be on the NTL fields the day after the Yard Sale.)

Jean, Library Director:  Mentioned that Erin suggested having a pie auction as part of the next Harvest Festival and the Board agreed.  The Friends approved paying $1,300.00 for a new sign at the library per Jean’s request. Museum passes: Newbury Cultural Council grant of $400.00 will pay for the PEM discount passes and the Georgetown Cultural Council grant of $400.00 will pay for the Aquarium discount passes

Calendar:     It was determined that the Fiscal Year Meeting will be held on June 11 @ 12:30, a Tuesday.

April 17, Wed; 6-7 pm; Author visit, Andrew Forsthoefel, “Walking  to Listen”, Patty & Linda will speak.

April 27,  Sat; 8am-noon, Yard Sale.

May 2, Thurs; 12:15, Friends Meeting.

May 2, Thurs; 6-7pm, “Bring Your Ancestors to Life”, Pam will speak.

Oct. 19, Harvest Fest.

 
 
2019 February 7, 2019.  Page 1 of 2

Attendees:  Maureen, Tammy, Pam, Joan, Linda, Katie, Erin and Jean.

Maureen, Pres:   Opened discussion of nominating Linda Rivera as Secretary, she accepted and Board voted in agreement.  Also, Patty Olson will return to Board as Planning Assistant. Thanked Tammy, Joan and Erin for creating the Winter Newsletter and the flyers for the Felting Workshop and the Yard Sale.  The Felting Workshop info has been submitted to the newspaper. I finally have the name of a book appraiser, Bobby from Salt Marsh Antiques in Rowley and will contact him tomorrow. Will draft a summary of brochure info on “What the Friends Do” for NTL newsletters.

Tammy, Vice Pres.:   Provided update of payments/registrations for the Felting Workshop Fundraiser.  Discussed marketing for Membership Drive (March?) using the info off the brochures (ad in paper, flyers for events, etc). She will talk with Katie about adding info on Membership for the Friends on her Newsletter after Maureen submits her draft for approval to the Board.  She will also post flyers for Felting Workshop at Town Hall.

Pam, Treasurer:  Financials report we are ahead of expectations for the year.  We discussed selling magazines in the Book Sale Room as Katie suggested.  Tammy will work with Jean organizing them. Pam will speak again at the March Writer’s Workshop.  She ordered more hats as supply is low. The Board voted in favor of allowing the current Friends funds to be used by the library for needs/wants and in future years as well.  A cap is to be determined allowing for a small cushion amount.

Jean, Library Director – The Writing Workshop will continue in the spring and fall.  She is below budgeted amount. She proposed the Friends cover the movie license next year.  NTL was awarded $400 from the Georgetown Cultural Council to be used to purchase the Peabody Essex Museum passes.

Kate, Youth Librarian – Feb 21st is the Rolie Polie Guacamole Program.  The Baby Yoga Program had 25 attendees at the 1st session.  April vacation: “Soothe Yourself Into Spring” for 8+, making bath bombs, etc.  She Is also looking for ways to draw boys into programs. Her volunteers are leaving and the Friends  volunteered to get them a gift of some sort.  She has a new display of “Hot Titles” books.  A Friends Board Member will attend the “Baby Yoga” and the “Rolie Polie Guacamole” programs.

Page 2 of 2 .  Meeting Minutes, Feb. 7, 2019.

Erin, Assistant Director, asked which events the Friends pay for and she will add it to the monthly Events calendar.

Yard Sale plans to date:  (2 more Friends meetings before event).  Suggestions to have 2 different flyers, one for advertising tables and one for advertising the yard sale.  Tammy, Erin and Joan will work together to work on flyers. Details: Apr. 27, Sat. 8am – noon, inside only, possibly use covered area at front door and inside the library.  Media and raffle – Maureen. Track payments and registrations – Tammy. Create, order and post signs – Pam. Create Friends name tags, flyer, etc. as needed – Joan. Send a Mailchimp reminder – Tammy and Joan.  All to provide the baked goods and someone to be a ‘greeter’. Deadline to register is April 13. Review Summary of last year’s Yard Sale – included.

Calendar:

Feb. 9 Saturday, 11am-noon, Thomas Jefferson, Foodie.  (Speaker-Joan)

Feb. 21 Thursday, 10:30-11:30am,  Rolie Polie Guacamole. (Speaker?)

and 6 – 7:30pm  Felting Workshop Fundraiser.

Feb. 28 Thursday, 10:15 – 11am.  Adult & Baby Yoga (Speaker?)

March 2 Saturday, 11am – noon,   Winter Blahs. (Speaker?)

March 7 Thursday,  Friends Meeting.

March 23 Saturday, 11am – noon Louise Miller? (Speaker?)

April 4 Thursday,  Friends Meeting.

(Possibly April 17, Tuesday, “Walking To Listen” Andrew Forsthoefel). (Speaker?)

April 27 Saturday, 8am-noon,  Community Yard Sale Fundraiser.

 

2019 January 4        Friends Meeting Minutes

Attendees:

Maureen Haley, President. Tammy Cotter, Vice President. Pam Kinney, Treasurer. Joan Friedman, Project Assistant. Linda Rivera, Interim Secretary.

Projects in the Works

Winter Workshop: Tammy will follow up with Pauline to set a date.

Winter Newsletter:  Tammy and Joan will create a draft for Board approval.

Yard Sale:  Joan will create a flyer draft. Tammy will send last year’s summary to Board for review. Tentative date is April 27.

Plant Sale Tentative date is May 18.

Myths vs Facts”:  Maureen will create a draft for the Board’s approval.

Carla’s bags: To be relocated from the Circulation area to the Children’s area.  

Blind Date with a Book” to consider for Valentines Day.

Finance

Board agreed not to insert flyers in tax bills due to cost.  Need to order Friends brochures (add Harvest Fest to it). Since July:  Book sales have earned ~$1,000; Merchandise already earned more than last year and we’ve received $2,000 in personal donations. A painting of a home was donated to the Friends to raise funds.  It was an original painted by local artist Jean Pearson and was recognized as the Lentz’ barn on Main Street in Byfield, they gladly donated $100.00 as a purchase to benefit NTL.

Friends Sponsored Programs  

Jean and Kati both passed handouts of Calendars and Budget.  Lots of programs are planned for the upcoming months, most popular has been the Writer’s Workshop, Minecraft and Crazy8’s especially.  Pam will be at the 1st session of the Writer’s Workshop to talk up the Friends. Board Members will try to attend other programs.

 

 

%d bloggers like this: