Friends of Newbury Town Library September 7, 2017
Attendees: Maureen Haley, Tammy Cotter, Pam Myers-Kinney, Patty Olson, Katelyn White, Jean Ackerly and Dick Passeri.
- Joan Friedman, a library volunteer, is joining the Friends Board and will put together event flyers and posters, etc. for us! Welcome to the group Joan!
- 7 prizes for Harvest Festival cook offs and raffles so far.
- Oct 14-21 is National Friends week – looking for ideas to promote it.
- Next Friend’s meeting – October 5th at 12:15, Thursday
- Otto’s fundraiser brought in $ 98
- Asked Board Members to join her at Friends sponsored programs when possible.
Katelyn, Children’s Librarian Update:
- Linda and Tyler Rivera making a “Guess how many candies are in the jar” for HF., Joan Friedman is working on crafts, for the face painting we’re waiting on teen volunteer commitments.
- Next children’s newsletter will request for harvest festival volunteers and include coloring contest.
- Prizes – 6 Leo’s Bowling (left over); ice cream coupons and Improv Boston (Friends will use)
- Books for a children’s basket – raffle?
- Any expense over $25 (for event purchases), Pam will write a check for reimbursement.
Jean, Director Update
- Idea for Harvest Festival – Donations for events in kind rather than asking for cash.
- Melissa Mashburn, trustee, applied for and received Grant from Mary Alice Arakelian to pay for a new projector system – approximately $13,000.00.
- Submitted budget that’s thru Dec. Some of the programs include: Ebooks, Coffee Cupping, Hiking the Bay Circuit, The Beatles and a Minimalist Documentary.
- Mentioned a printer ink cartridge recycling program and Maureen to investigate further.
Dick, Trustee Update
- Wiring situation from last year needs to be addressed – need to have electrician look at voltage/amps. Another option is use the meeting room for Harvest Festival if can’t solve wiring problems.
- How to have recycle information that is continuously available to patron… display or exhibit.
Tammy, Vice President Update:
- 91 Current members
- Sent out about 10 membership renewals
- Will be specific for donations for Harvest Festival – instead of ‘decorations’ will ask for mums, corn stalks etc.
- Tammy suggested to have contest be Chili and MacNCheese instead of Chili and Chowder and the Board agreed.
- Need to put out word that we’re accepting book donations
- Presented last year’s post- Harvest Festival notes as guideline for this year.
- Reviewed Financial Summary
- Current Status – Expenses $2359, Income $1350.
- If we keep current rate of income, with memberships we should be able to make conservative estimate. If we add donations and book sales, we will exceed our conservative income estimate
- Talked about how we can promote Amazon Smile to gain more attraction – educate ‘how-to’
- Make a sign for book sale room
- Create book marks