Sept. 7 2017 Meeting Notes

Friends of Newbury Town Library                                                                   September 7, 2017

Attendees:   Maureen Haley, Tammy Cotter, Pam Myers-Kinney, Patty Olson, Katelyn White,  Jean Ackerly and Dick Passeri.

Maureen, President

  • Joan Friedman, a library volunteer, is joining the Friends Board and will put together event flyers and posters, etc. for us!  Welcome to the group Joan!
  • 7 prizes for Harvest Festival cook offs and raffles so far.
  • Oct 14-21 is National Friends week – looking for ideas to promote it.
  • Next Friend’s meeting – October 5th at 12:15, Thursday
  • Otto’s fundraiser brought in $ 98
  • Asked Board Members to join her at Friends sponsored programs when possible. 

Katelyn, Children’s Librarian Update:

  • Linda and Tyler Rivera making a “Guess how many candies are in the jar” for HF., Joan Friedman is  working on crafts, for the face painting we’re waiting on teen volunteer commitments.
  • Next children’s newsletter will request for harvest festival volunteers and include coloring contest.
  • Prizes – 6 Leo’s Bowling (left over); ice cream coupons and Improv Boston (Friends will use)
  • Books for a children’s basket – raffle?
  • Any expense over $25 (for event purchases), Pam will write a check for reimbursement.

 Jean, Director Update

  • Idea for Harvest Festival – Donations for events in kind rather than asking for cash.
  • Melissa Mashburn, trustee, applied for and received Grant from Mary Alice Arakelian to pay for a new projector system – approximately $13,000.00.
  • Submitted budget that’s thru Dec. Some of the programs include: Ebooks, Coffee Cupping, Hiking the Bay Circuit, The Beatles and a Minimalist Documentary.
  • Mentioned a printer ink cartridge recycling program and Maureen to investigate further.

 Dick, Trustee Update

  • Wiring situation from last year needs to be addressed – need to have electrician look at voltage/amps.  Another option is use the meeting room for Harvest Festival  if can’t solve wiring problems.
  • How to have recycle information that is continuously available to patron… display or exhibit.

 Tammy, Vice President Update:

  • 91 Current members
  • Sent out about 10 membership renewals
  • Will be specific for donations for Harvest Festival – instead of ‘decorations’ will ask for mums, corn stalks etc.
  • Tammy suggested to have contest be Chili and MacNCheese instead of Chili and Chowder and the Board agreed.
  • Need to put out word that we’re accepting book donations
  • Presented last year’s post- Harvest Festival notes as guideline for this year.

 Pam, Treasurer

  • Reviewed Financial Summary
    • Current Status – Expenses $2359, Income $1350.
    • If we keep current rate of income, with memberships we should be able to make conservative estimate. If we add donations and book sales, we will exceed our conservative income estimate
  • Talked about how we can promote Amazon Smile to gain more attraction – educate ‘how-to’
    • Make a sign for book sale room
    • Create book marks

 

Advertisements